Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Deep Breaths...

On Monday Tanner and I had our home study for our adoption. We have been prepping all week, and for those that don't know me well this means stressing all week! The home study was the last step in completing our agency paperwork as well as our Dossier so things had to be perfect. Tanner kept making sweet comments like, "Hon, I don't think she'll check the closets", and "Babe, the house needs to look lived in!".  Yes, I've been a busy little bee. 

The guest room has been transformed into an empty room awaiting Judah, and the couch I'd ordered a month ago that is lost in transit. All the rooms are cleaned and the litter box given a new home.  Even the toilet paper had been counted...heehee.  Kidding.  That was just one of the crazy comments that people felt the need to share with me to add to my stress levels. In other words we were as ready as ever.

After weeks of work the moment arrived. Tanner was staying home from work for the day the kids were fed and dressed and I was last minute cleaning with my trusty Shark!  We got a call from our social worker announcing her arrival in town and the need for directions...panic! Apparently map quest doesn't like small town back roads.  We straightened out the directions and waited as patiently as possible.  Oh, and I got my actual clothes on. Tanner thought my sweats and tank wouldn't be so appropriate.

Once the social worker entered our home my worries melted away. I could literally feel the prayers of my family and friends. I could also see God's calming hand on the girls who looked and acted as angelic as ever. Thank you Lord! Tanner, on the other hand, turned into a big, tense being on the couch. After a few silly comments provided by yours truly and the social worker assuring him he can relax he began to breath easier.

We had a wonderful conversation with this perfect stranger. The girls made their entrances and exits with confidence, grace, and almost silence. The deepest details of our families and lives were laid out for her to inspect.  We took a break for lunch then got back to the business at hand. After five hours of studying our family and home we were finally done. Our social worker ended our afternoon with the most incredible gift. The words left her mouth with ease, but tore through me. I was overwhelmed with emotions. We had passed our home study and were now only waiting on the completed paperwork.  "Please give me at least a month" she said.  No problem!

Now...what to do with this next month. Patience may be a virtue, but it's not one of mine!

3 comments:

  1. Oh sweet girl! I am so excited for you guys!!! I am so glad you had a great experience with your social worker. I do want to know how many rolls of toilet paper you have though. I think we have 11. :)

    Won't be long now. That month will go by quickly and I will be expecting a phone call!

    As far as patience....it's not mine either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robyn, Congratulations! Cody and I are so happy for you guys, and I can't wait to hear what the next month brings! Have a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patience isn't one of mine either. We'll work on it together! Love ya! (And I knew your home study would rock!)

    ReplyDelete