Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The Best Defense

Tanner mentioned today that I should have prefaced this post with how our conversation came about. This post was started before Christmas after an awkward conversation with an acquaintance. I found myself wanting to get defensive of our decisions then felt foolish for trying to argue my point. I was not trying to be negative here just honest. I've asked several of my friends who recently adopted to be brutally honest with me and I want to do the same for others.
********************************************************************************************

Although we are in the early stages of our adoption we have already been subjected to some severe questioning. Tanner and I understood with this decision there would be questions, comments, and even concerns.  I don't think we could ever be prepared to answer every question people feel entitled to.  So we pray over and discussed each detail, obviously. 

This is our conclusion....

We don't feel we have to defend our decision. So we won't even try. If you have questions please feel free to ask away and we will answer as gracefully as possible. If you have concerns please let them be known we are most likely praying over that very thing.  However, know this, we have entered into this process called by God to this specific country and to this specific boy nothing you say, ask, or do will change that decision.

With Love and Respect,
T & R

9 comments:

  1. Hi Ballews!

    Just a little note to say that we're adopting from Ethiopia also! We're almost done with our home study, so we are just on the very edge of things getting exciting here!

    I found you from the Wild Olive Tees site. Prayers for endurance and joy are going out to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Staci!

    Thanks so much for checking us out. We LOVE Wild Olive and the gift they've given us. I'm so excited to get to know and hear from other families adopting from Ethiopia. I really appreciate your prayers as well!

    I look forward to keeping up with your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AMEN!!!! God is good, He is faithful and I'm excited to follow your journey! Oh I also found you from the Wild Olive site. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very well put! Our family fostered a 16 year old boy for several months and we had many questions, concerns, and doubts directed our way. And, even though it didn't turn out the way we wanted it to, we would do it again if He asked us to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You will see the Lord do amazing things through this journey and through the people who give you the most greif. We have seen it through are journey and I love how he not only changes our lives through adoption and our children but also he changes the hearts of those around us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I say it is your business. I think people are so bold!! I have never adopted of course you know that but I am questioned daily on other things in my life such as being Cathloic in Stephenville; it is very hard. People are very judgemental which shows their ignorance of my Christian faith. why would people be so mean to a fellow Christian when they say they are Christian themselves. Why do I say this, people who are questioning your decision to adopt is crazy and again shows their ignorance!!! You go girl!! I will pray for you and your family! God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello! I stumbled here somehow and just wanted to encourage you. My husband and I have been in the process of adopting since November '09 and we got mixed reactions when we announced it. {And for all intents and purposes, people really had a right to have those reactions simply because we had recently come out of a 6-month unemployment stint!} But... God is faithful and so good and He has walked every step of this with us, providing more than we could've dreamed along the way... AND (in effect), shining His light on those that doubted.

    So! I just wanted to encourage you to not be discouraged!! His plans are mighty and He will see you through them -- even when it looks impossible.

    Blessings,
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Robyn! I linked over here from Wild Olive Tees and am amazed to find you! We are living parallel lives! We are in the process of adopting from the Philippines, also after a mission trip that I took last September. We are a few months behind you in the process and are finishing our home study this week. We have been subjected to some disapproving questions as well. Having 3 biological children people can not understand why we would upset the apple cart so to speak. I have come to believe that the people who do not understand have never permitted God to CALL them to something. We are thrilled to be on this journey with others who are called to obey God in a radical way! Stay strong! I will be praying for you all from here on out!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Send them my way! :)

    I love you guys and never doubted one second your decision. I just can't wait to hug the the little booger.

    ReplyDelete